BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, March 8, 2010

Meal Plan Monday- From my freezer

So, we have been struggling to get back "on track" with our budgeting. To do my part, I'm going to be cooking from our freezer with minimal purchases (milk, eggs, cereal, and bread and coffee filters...how can you survive without coffee? even when it's decaf!). I'm hoping that doing this and a modified "envelope" budget for about two pay checks (only taking out our groceries/dining out/entertainment/children budget amounts) will help us not only save (ie catch up) but become more mindful spenders.

So for this week-

Monday- Kung Pao Chicken, Leftover veggies thrown in to up nutrition, with fortune cookies for dessert
it comes from a box and has a GREAT coupon on the website! A dollar off!

Tuesday- White Chicken Chili, beans are leftover from a few weeks ago, bought the packet at the store for flavor and the chicken is a few thighs from the night before!

Wednesday- Pan fried Tilapia with Asparagus (Asparagus was on sale two pounds for $3!)
heat your oil in your pan, dip Tilapia into  a 1/4 cup of powder mixed in with 2 tbs of Season All, cook til done
Asparagus-break into bite size pieces, heat over on high broil, toss asparagus in 1 tbs oil 2 tbs Balsamic Vinegar. Broil for 15 mins. I always end up adding more Balsamic Vinegar and salt and pepper to taste when done.

Thursday- Fried Chicken, Greens, Cornbread, Leftover beans and Corn on the cob. All which are found in my pantry/freezer!

Friday- Leftover Chili and Baked Potatos

Saturday- Lunch will be leftovers (if there are any). More than likely, we will have leftover fried chicken over a really large salad. Homemade pizzza that night!

Sunday- We have some browned hamburger meat that really needs to be used, I may make manwich (according to the new commercial it has a FULL serving of vegetables!) But...I'll be serving mine on hotdog buns...someone suggested this to me and I think it's a BRILLIANT idea of eliminating the mess!

For dinner on Sunday, I'm not sure what I'll do. We have a ton of frozen soups that need to be eaten as well as some deli meat. We may have a leftover soup smorgusboard!

Check out what other families are up to at Meal Planning Monday!

5 comments:

Elizabeth Lyng said...

Oh, I love white chicken chili - great idea, gotta get those soups and chilis in before the weather warms up!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

sounds like a great meal plan! I hear ya on getting the budget in line, i really need to cut my grocery bill its so hard. i'm a vegetarian, hubby and oldest love beef, youngest only likes chicken.

LOVE asparagus!!! YUMMY!!!

Kim said...

Sounds great! I'm with you - coffee is a life necessity! We're trying to do something similar - living off of what we have, because I need to clean out the cupboards before we move! And we have no money...

Brandie said...

Well, I'll keep you guys updated on the "envelope budget" as well as the grocery spending here. Just want to get things back under control before we add another child to the mix!

Elaina said...

These are all great ideas! I find if I make a menu for the week, I save money (no takeout, because I have plan!), frustration ("what do you want? No, what do YOU want?"), and time. The hardest part is actually figuring out what to make so far in advance, but I find that it definitely helps me out