BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Making life a bit easier

So, during our first deployment I was a full-time college student (20+hours) and mother to one with Anna incubating. Needless to say, it was a bit overwhelming, but I found a fun/interesting way to not only make the days go by faster, but to help myself by picking a new product each paycheck that could help me finish a task more quickly or eliminate the need of doing the task altogether. This allowed me to have more time for myself/schoolwork by freeing up time away from housework.  Honestly, one of the best things I have ever done for myself...was to invest in a few products that make life eaiser or make me happy. I hope to continue this trend when Ryan deploys again, but I found some REALLY great products during that time that I continue to use this day. So, if you are at all interested...here it goes!

1. Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner:
I love the one that has Frebreeze in the container because not only does it keep my shower clean...it smells divine! I cleaned my then completely tiled (and really old) shower from top to bottom, and after that initial cleaning...I just simply pushed a button and it's like a team of maids just *POOFED* into my shower and cleaned it! Now we have an all white shower, and after convincing my husband that he MUST use it, it's still a pristine white! I no longer SLAVE away in tiny spaces with a scrub brush, my magic team of maids does it for me! Although, I strongly suggest using the coupons....saves you a ton of money (and not using it every time you shower, but every other time, otherwise it can get $$$)!

2. Swiffer WetJet
So, I haven't actually used this one...I used a different cheaper brand and regretted it, but this one is my next purchase. I LOVE my Method O Mop from Target...it's green because the heads are washable, but this mop takes SERIOUS strength, you are SCRUBBING the dirt away...and breaking a sweat while you are at it! So, I will be saving my O Mop for once a month cleanings and using this bad boy for daily cleaning. Perhaps it's time for a confession...I am CONSTANTLY sweeping my floor...and I choose to blame it on my kids, so it'd be nice to have an easier daily mop that can keep me from having to bust a sweat more than once a month.

3. Bounce Dryer Bar- Fresh Linen Scent
I love good smelling clothing...a lot! When I found out my sweet husband is allergic to the fibers in dryer sheets, I gave up on the idea of EVER having freshly scented clothing. Low and behold, they came out with this miricle bar! I slap it inside my dryer once every 3-4 months and forget about it. I do notice that the scent loses strength over time (not as noticeable) before the bar clearly reads "replace". If you scrap the bar a bit, it regains it's strength. But I adore that it does make my clothing smell delicious!

4. Dawn Hand Renewal with Olay
This is one of my more recent discoveries, thanks to a coupon at the Comissary (the military grocery store)...and can I just say that I DEFINITELY felt the difference on my hands. Enough so that I have to fight my thrifty self with my vain self! Although, I will admit that I water down my dishwashing liquid after I use about 1/4 of it.

5. Denture Cleaner (The super cheap kind with whitening power!)

You can go ahead and laugh. And no, I don't have dentures. I use denture cleaner in my toilets. I plop two little capsules in each bowl at night and wake up the next morning, swirl my brush in and viola!  I didn't believe it would work, but  I was lamenting to my Mama Dot that I had a toilet that would NOT come clean in our old home...it was stained from the previous owner...and I tried everything. My darling Mama Dot made the suggestion and I was desperate, so I tried it. It worked!
Go ahead, laugh if you want, try it if you dare.



What would make your list of things that make your house work easier! I'm always looking out for new products!

5 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

denture cleaner (or alka seltzer) work great on the toilets!!! love your list!!!

Leslie said...

My favorite trick for house cleaning? Anything that is STUCK on (like baked in a casserole or cooked onto your crockpot), just fill the dish/container with warm water and add a little bit of fabric softener and let it soak that way. (I let it soak overnight.) The next morning, the stuff will just wash right off - no tennis elbow or bum shoulder to show for scrubbing. :)

Brandie said...

ooo Fabric Sofetner...genius! I'm going to have to find a small cheap knockoff brand and put it in my kitchen (ryan's allergic to the stuff, well atleast the sheets and I don't want to risk it with the liquid).

Leslie said...

Oooh, and Swiffer dust wands! I HATE dusting, but those make it MUCH easier. :)

Gidget Girl Reading said...

waded up foil balls also are great scouring pads.

lemon juice and dawn in a spray bottle take out carpet stains with out ruining the carpet