Friday, September 10, 2010

He smiles, I smile

     Talk about melting your heart! We now have a brand spanking new room...on the PEDIATRIC Ward. No more Intensive Care Unit for this guy!

     The doctors haven't dared give us a time line for going home, and we are looking at what I think is a minimum of two days to see if Nolen can handle feeds over short periods of time before we can lose the GI tube. They might send him home with the GI tube if he can't handle it, but want it to be an easier process for me (instead of having to stand and slowly feed for an hour, it would be much easier to feed for 20 mins). Currently, he has to remain an Eskimo to keep his temp up, and hopefully we can start seeing him warm himself w/o all the extra layers!

Nolen isn't awake or as active as he was or should be, nor is he crying as well as he should. So we have come a long way, and we have a long way to go.

Thank you guys so much for all the support, offers of help, prayers, well wishes and for petitioning others for prayers. I really have been very calm during this whole thing and a lot of it has to do with the fact that I know others are praying for our little one as well.

 We are where we are, without oxygen and off the isolette warmer. He is handling  the bollus feeds for now.

My milk supply
Nolen can handle increased feedings
Nolen learns to warm himself
The girls continue to have a good time with family
A date to go home


welcome to our wonderland said...

this is the best post i've read anywhere in a while!!!:)

I LOVE that picture it is awesome!!!! he looks so happy to see you guys :)


prayers for speedy recovery and everyone home soon :)

Jennifer said...

I know you don't know me, but I am an air force wife stationed at the same base as you and was passed the link to your blog from a friend. I just caught up on Nolen's story and just wanted to say that I know exactly how you felt and continue to feel. My daughter was born at the local hospital and was perfectly healthy at birth, 24 hours later she began having seizures and they moved her to the NICU. 24 hours after that, they couldn't figure out what was wrong and sent her to CHOP. We spent another two days at CHOP not knowing what was wrong or if she would live or die... I felt just like you.. holding her, completely unresponsive because she was knocked out on the meds, seeing them do spinal taps on her and numerous blood pricks. I felt helpless and just wanted to know what was wrong and what to expect. IT turned out she had a stroke and after more test results came back, we were finally released from CHOP exactly one week after she was born. I have been in your shoes, although for different circumstances and I know what you are feeling and my heart aches for you. I am so glad to read this post and that he has been moved to the pediatric ward.. that is such a good sign. I will pray for you, Nolen and your family.

Kim said...

That is a beautiful picture! Made my day!